November 17, 2008

Weekends

There are many Saturdays that get filled up with errands and all the nonsense that life throws at me, but last Saturday was different. We had a LAZY day!!!!! This means no trips to the grocery store, no laundry, no cleaning! What this also means is that I could actually revisit my days before I had children who needed me. This means that DAD is home and he can put out fires, make lunch and holler at the children to put their shoes on and close the door as they bolt for the backyard. This means that my deep yearning to create something or do something crafty may actually be satisfied. Could I really get a project started and finished in one day?

It was a longshot but I was optimistic and willing to give it a try just to please my creative soul.

The old piano in my front room has been begging me to make it pretty again, and I knew I could restore it, if only I could find the time. I guess this is THE TIME!!!

I've mentioned before this piano that my grandma so kindly gave to me. It has a story, like so many things in our lives do. While all its dents and scratches hinted to how long it has been around and to how many behinds have sat on it's bench, I knew it could look better, I knew it could look as good as it sounds. I knew it could be restored to pretty close to what it looked like when my sweet grandma returned from her LDS mission in 1947 and purchased it for $800.00. I knew that it was my turn to add my chapter to this pianos long and wonderful journey. You see, this piano is a treasure to me even though I can't even play it! Someday I WILL play it!

The Bench BEFORE

The Bench AFTER


This is the last corner. The part on the left is already done- so much better!



The above 2 are both AFTER pictures, It looks so awesome that it needed 2 pictures

3 comments:

Dianna said...

Wow! I didn't know you refinished furniture! And a piano at that! I am so impressed Chelsea. The piano is beautiful and so is your post - I love how you wrote about the stories the piano has. I have always thought of our piano that way. I think pianos must have souls - they bring to life so much suffering (practicing), so much joy (performing), and all the in between stuff (endurance). I'm glad you had a Saturday like that.

Kristy said...

So pretty! Way to go!

LC said...

I will fix lunches and put out fires, watch your kids and any other random thing you can think of if you will fix something at my house and make it look that good!!! I am impressed! I just use my lazy saturdays to, oh wait, I don't have those! I am going to have to straighten Matt out. Good for you, it looks amazing!