June 23, 2008

"I'm Bored"

Okay, is it possible to be this BORED this early in the summer. I promised myself that we were going to have a fun summer packed with activities and we've done well but now on the days that we don't go anywhere you'd think the world was coming to an end!!! Seriously, we do have things to do around the house, we do need days to relax and Avery doesn't have the endurance of a 10 year old so we can't always be gone.
So today Alex was BORED, the other kids had managed to invent some game on the trampoline and were playing so good.
Alex- "mom, it's so boring outside"
Mom- "alex, I can't imagine that there is nothing for you to do outside"
Alex- "no mom there is NOTHING to do outside"
Mom- "go climb a tree, go swing in the hammock, play basketball, just go outside"
Alex- "but it's too hot and all that stuff is boring"

So this is our conversation at least several times every day. Were we this bad when we were growing up? If so, I apologize to my parents for the torture I put them through!
So I've decided to put a whole bunch of little pieces of paper in a "BORED JAR", the next time they pull the bored card, I'm going to let them choose something out of my jar, some of them are fun and some not so fun (clean out your closet, take out any trash in the house etc. etc).
SO..... wish me luck!!!!
P.S. I'm open to new ideas from any of you other moms, with BORED children!!!!

4 comments:

Breeann said...

I cant imagine that we were pests to our parents growing up at all...LOL. I think each generation brings its own set a issues, I guess this is the bored one! I have had JD this last week and I didnt realize that kids that age have to constantly be going and doing. I am very interested to hear more about this bored jar.

Dianna said...

That is a great post. Kristy and I were just talking about this. She said she and Ben had a great childhood because they DID get bored often enough to use their imaginations. The jar idea is great. You might want to put in some goofy activities in there too, not just work assignments, so they will actually want to choose and idea. Examples: Time how long you can go without blinking your eyes, say everything backwards for thirty minutes, build a little brother trap.

Katie said...

You are so creative Chelsea, I´ll have to remember your ideas when my kids get old enough for them. I think it is genious that you are putting fun ideas with not so fun ideas so that the bored jar is reserved for extreme cases when they are desperate enough to take the chance to veralize their boredom. Great thinking!

amanda said...

WOW! What a GREAT idea! LOVE it! My kids so far haven't complained of being bored, but I know the day will come. So I'm stashing away this little one - I just hope I remember it when the day comes!